Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Friday 17 May 2013

Review: The Little Camera


The Little Camera
The Little Camera by L.K. Jay

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This book caught my attention straight away- initially because I wanted to throttle Ryan, who is everything the middle-aged fear teenagers to be i.e disassociated, disenchanted and disrespectful. Given a community service order for yet another petty theft, young Ryan is forced to spend time with Mr Jedras, a Polish Jew with a tale to share. His story is a worthy of a book all to itself, and I stayed up way too late to find out how he made it to England. Meanwhile Ryan is getting deeper and deeper into trouble with his gang, led by the despicable Jamal. I had a feeling L.K. Jay had something up her sleeve for Ryan and (no spoilers) I'm glad I was right. My only (small) gripe is that Ryan's language seemed a bit formal for one so young and street-wise. Although this book pulls no punches in showing the evil of the past (Nazi invasion) and present (gang culture), it leaves a positive message for the future, and I even warmed to Ryan enough to wish him well as I finished reading. A suitably serious tone, considering the subject matter, and very different to The Ghosthunters Club, but equally as enjoyable.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!