Welcome message

Welcome, friends old and new, to my blog. This is the place where I can share my scribblings and thoughts on loving life. I hope you enjoy them, make suggestions and come back to read more.

Saturday 4 April 2015

Great Fictional Characters: Dorothy Gale

Continuing with the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2015


Dorothy Gale, not quite the damsel in distress that she appears in the film version (which I still love), is one of my favourite fictional characters.


I love how matter of fact and inherently good she is, with none of the issues or angst that children's heroines often suffer from in order to appear relevant. Her only goal is to return home, so as not to cause distress to her beloved Aunt Em and Uncle Henry, even though they probably would get on fine without her.

“No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful. There is no place like home.”


Illustration by W.W. Denslow 
Yes, she's a bit one-dimensional but, at that age, what little girl isn't? What she is is true. She's genuinely upset to (accidently) kill witches, because she knows killing is wrong; she looks after her companions because that's how friendship works, yet cheerfully leaves them behind when to stay would be more dangerous or even pointless; she accepts help gratefully and with thanks, because to struggle alone would be too difficult and she knows her capabilities and limitations. She's smart and honest and refreshingly uncomplicated.

And, of course, there's Toto.

“Toto did not really care whether he was in Kansas or the Land of Oz so long as Dorothy was with him; but he knew the little girl was unhappy, and that made him unhappy too.”  

Toto Harvey
Any character who has a dog is usually a winner with me, especially when it's a small, black terrier with a pink tongue and a wagging tail. Not that I'm biased at all...

The fiercest we ever see Dorothy is when Toto is threatened, and rightly so. She is his protector, his world, his Dorothy. Despite her pragmatic approach to companions, at no point is she ever willing to be separated from Toto or put him in danger. Toto is her non-negotiable. Maybe the reason I love her so is that I can't help but see myself in her, as I'd be exactly the same- no one messes with my Harvey!

The mark of a great fictional character is that they stand the test of time and, even though Dorothy (and Toto) are 115 years old now, I can't see them going anywhere just yet- unless it's back to Oz for another adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Love your theme! The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite stories. Dorothy definitely does stand the test of time. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm having so much fun with this : )

      Delete

This is the part where you get to join in! What did you think of today's post? Leave me a message and let me know what you think. I love reading your comments!